japhyjunket
THE SIDEBAR


9.09.2002
btw- In lieu of September 11th coverage, today I bring you something fun and frivolous- The Wild and Wacky World of the Victorians! So, I'm taking this fantastic Victorian Poetry class here at sunny old Brooklyn College. Frequent watchers of Japhy know I have a love of all things Victorian: Dignity, consumption and the like. A classmate has already observed, 'You're kind of a Victorian geek, aren't you?' I tragically coughed up a little blood in reply. In any event, I love this class. Love love love. Expect an ode to it soon. I also think I may have a favorite poet already. Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, live from the mainstage at Japhyjunket, heeeeeeeeere's Mister Thomas Hardy! (insert loud applause and muppetish screaming) Neutral Tones We stood by a pond that winter day And the sun was white, as though chidden of God And a few leaves lay on the starving sod -- They had fallen from an ash, and were grey. Your eyes on me were as eyes that rove Over tedious riddles of years ago; And some words played between us to and fro On which lost the more by our love. The smile on your mouth was the deadest thing Alive enough to have strength to die; And a grin of bitterness swept thereby Like an ominous bird-a-wing... Since then, keen lessons that love deceives And wrings with wrong, have shaped to me Your face, and the God-curst sun, and a tree And a pond edged with greyish leaves. ---- The moral of this blog is that Jill is alive and well in Japan.




Comments: Post a Comment